05 April 2009

the fundamentals of fundamentalism [and impromtu socializing]


First of all: Sam Roberts. Not only is he attractive as only a scruffy indie rocker can be, but his soulful, almost blasé crooning is yummy. Check out "Them Kids," "Detroit 67", "Lions of the Kalahari" and "Brother Down."





Yesterday I was alone most of the day. I read quietly. I sipped coffee and I watched a delightful movie named "Latter Days."



The acting is not the best [as you saw from the trailer], but then again it's not distracting either. The story raises the thorny issue of religious belief and modern romance in a way that was meaningful to me. The situations and the story line ring true to life. I felt like they represented the conflicting loyalties and pain that a gay man raised in a deeply religious, deeply homophobic environment experiences... *wink.

Perhaps it was the cute guys, perhaps the happy ending after an appropriate amount of suffering and angst... I don't know, as far as "gay" movies go, I'd recommend it.

If I had to choose between my homophobic family and the love of a lifetime with a gorgeous, sweet guy... it wouldn't be much of a choice. Thank God, my parents didn't reject me; though things were pretty intense there for about a year.

I suppose what I would shout out to all the gay young people in Baptist churches, Mormon churches, Muslim mosques, Orthodox Jewish synagogues: Please, reach out and embrace a life free of the fundamentalism and hatred that surrounds you. To do so is not to reject your faith but to enrich it.

Honestly, I don't think I ever could love God and desire intimacy with him until I got it through my head that he loves me just the way I am and wants me to enjoy human love. I don't think I ever understood what it meant to be a good person until I stopped equating virtue with conformity to a conservative social vision. It'll be hard; I'm not denying it, but this is your life! Embrace integrity! Embrace love!

Though my darling cat Gracie is lovely company [she's a compulsive biscuit maker], I eventually fled the house to go read and have a few quiet beers at O'Bannon's. Little did I know that I would encounter the vet school crowd and find myself dancing on the speakers at V Bar. Upon return to O'Bannon's, the place was packed out - I ended up meeting up with the lovely choir ladies and Ms. Coleman and the night was off... !

Next thing I know, I'm helping Brian and Luther pick up glasses because the tables were a forest of glass and nasty. I hope I helped and didn't just get in their way. Flip flops not being the most appropriate footwear for busing tables, I did manage to cut my heel; the blood elicited a bear guffaw from Brian, a gesture of caring that totally made my night.

So, in honor of the fact that God is neither homophobic nor keeping a heavenly checklist of my acts of devotion, I am electing to skip church and relax this morning.

3 comments:

  1. I saw you picking up glasses in flip flops and thought ut oh! Hope your foots ok... there was lotssssssss of broken glass last night. Crazy drunks

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to explain "making buscuits" for people who don't know! =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. "making biscuits" is when your cat attaches herself to your flesh and begins to knead and lick you while purring frenetically.

    ReplyDelete